Thursday 27 September 2012

Yardstick launch goes KABOOM


We don’t get typhoons down here on the Southern tip of Africa, but Sunday’s weather-tantrum in Stellenbosch was a fairly close approximation of what I imagine it would be like if we did. 


Despite the obvious signs that nature and all her forces were opposed to this meeting of foodies and quaffers, all went ahead as planned. A non-plussed DJ Rene calmly set up his disco in the back of the cellar while the debonair guys from TRUTH coffee manned the prow of their stand like hipster Captain Ahabs. 



It must have been a combination of Pete Tempelhoff’s culinary wizardry and Adam Mason’s generous desire to ply people with his deeply satisfying wines that kept the guests on that long wet road to this unique “coming out” event. 





I think the specific reference to children being welcome also had some kick. Limber kids spilled out of station wagons, saw the piles of hay and, for the rest of the afternoon, stormed them like a castle while their parents milled and bobbed around tables of endless eatables and drinkables.




In addition to the boards of cheese and meaty olives, Pete’s team gently kicked us off by walking around with crisp little triangles of prawn and sesame toast cunningly arranged around bamboo bowls of soy-based dipping sauce. After two petite glasses of the Yardstick Chardonnay I was still able to resist the temptation to follow the prawn-toast guy around with a skewer. 


Then came the duck spring rolls. Oh my. Wrapped in soft glass rice paper and served with a roasted chili sauce, I enjoyed a few of these chaps with the Yardstick 2011 Pinot Noir. 


We found a spot in the corner and the prawn-toast guy (God bless him) made regular visits to our locale. He served us well through the speeches. I had to laugh when my brother spoke because he must be one the few people in the world who can geek out about varieties of grapes. 




I guess that’s what it’s all about though, that passion and dedicated exploration of things that fascinate you. It’s what makes this unique partnership so exciting.






The concept is simple. A chef and a winemaker join forces to pair good food up with outstanding new blends of wine. Sunday’s launch was an occasion that celebrated indulging in simple pleasures: fine company; happy families and a smorgasbord of tastes.



After disappearing for a while, my husband (damn I love him) returned with plates of grilled entrecôte and fries, served with a truffled hollandaise sauce. I paired these doozies up with a not-so-petite glass of SHAZAM! Adam and Pete’s answer to a Syrah heavy blend with touches of Grenache, Mourvedre and floral Viognier. 

As I was trying to contain the inappropriate noises of pleasure that were escaping my lips, Adam approached with a gazelle-like creature who turned out to be the deputy editor of House and Leisure. I was wiping hollandaise sauce from my chin when he introduced me with a chortle: “This is my sister. Bless her, she came for the food”. This elegant woman took pity on me as I tried to become one with the couch, wishing my alter ego would stride confidently though the doorway with a winning smile and a leather-bound portfolio of my work. Aye me.



It took me another bolstering glass of SHAZAM! To recover from that moment of shame. Not one to be deterred for very long, I found solace in a wee plate of waterblommetjie and mushroom risotto. This dish was superb. I switched back to white but went with Ka-POW! - my firm favourite. Adam’s artful use of Chardonnay and Viognier showcases a delicate Chenin blanc base. Interestingly, this wine is partly barrel fermented - this is possibly why I like it. I have a thing for the subtle spicy characters of barrel fermented wine.

Even though I was full I couldn't help nibbling from my husband’s bowl. The Cape fish stew was accompanied by saffron pap and of course there had to be wine so I topped up, this time with KABOOM! It’s a blend of the “Bordeaux 5” and while it’s more robust than say, the Yardskick Pinot Noirs, it was remarkably delicious between morsels of this inspiring seafood dish.

To be honest, by this time I was a bit unsteady on the old pins and after this it all becomes a blur. Single frames from my memory include: a monstrous vat of Brewers & Union beers nestled in ice [egad]; Grappa with coffee and Truffles [yeep]. Other frames show images of a straw castle laid to waste as children returned to the warm laps of their replenished parents. And rain.

Thanks guys, you are magnificent.

Hic’

Photo by Wine Gems








1 comment:

  1. I adore all of there wines - do you know where they sell the Kaboom in town?

    ReplyDelete