Tuesday 11 September 2012

Gypsy Café


I have a few firm favourite restaurants in Cape Town: El Burro, Woodlands Eatery and Hello Sailor. I am loyal to these guys but hope they can share because last night a pretty young thing joined their ranks.

Gypsy Café in Observatory is one of the special ones. You can always tell if a restaurant has heart, and this one does. My husband and I have been wanting to go for months because we drive past 87 Station road daily. My beloved mum is in town at the moment so last night we found the perfect opportunity to visit this fairy-lit half-hidden bistro of quirk and joy.






The first thing that struck me was the decor. From the bird cages, thoughtful paintings and suitcases to the festive bunting and higgledy-piggledy potted succulents in the alleyway, Gypsy doesn't just excel in the culinary arts, it is a feast for the eyes as well. Everywhere I looked I found something for my peepers to drool over. It reminds me of the little family-run cafés that we'd discover when I was a surly teenager being dragged reluctantly through provincial France by my monstrously unfair parents. Aye me.

Each month the Gypsy finds a new country to explore and offers specials inspired by these new regions. The gastronomes have kitchen-traveled to such exotic places as Thailand, France and - where we landed last night - Argentina. The main courses on offer were well-priced and well-spiced and left me with a belly full of wanderlust.

Currently, Gypsy's specials reflect the fierce Argentinian love of meat. The starter sets this scene by using a salad to artfully uplift the flavours of prosciutto. To follow is a modest 300g rib eye steak, encrusted in crushed coriander and served with a chimichurri sauce that'll have you saying "¡Olé!" in no time.

If you're not a carnivore don't be dismayed, they cater for a range of preferences and have vegan options that are actual full meals. I find this a feat to marvel at.

While we gargled in delight at the nomadic specials, the three of us did pick our fare from the more permanent chalk-board selection. We sampled the blue cheese and garlic snails - each mouthful of which brought forth goaty noises of pleasure - and the fresh spring rolls which are served with a sweet chilli sauce that is more Thai-spicy than your regular sickly saccharine goop. Other starters available included chicken livers, salmon cannelloni and a roasted veg salad.

I opted for the "Two Tarts" main.  My plate arrived with two heart-shaped phyllo pastry tarts. These terrific little guys were filled with different cheeses and served with a tangy onion and balsamic reduction, and a fresh salad. My husband opted for the line-fish, which was ocean-friendly silver, served with a creamy garlic sauce and generous lashings of dill. Our dear mum had the chicken. This was a bird as moist and succulent as you could wish for, perched on a plump nest of roasted veg. At this point conversation slowed down. It was limited to the sounds of gnashing mastication and grunts of contentment as we swapped forkfuls of morsels and restrained ourselves from licking the plates like we would do at home. Sorry mom. We do that at home.

I firmly believe that most of the time it's the little things that count, so when bill arrived as a wee scroll wrapped up in a ribbon, and surrounded by chocolate coins, I nearly swooned. So I went outside and smelled the jasmine creeper that grows by the door until I had successfully come back down from the clouds.





What will be bringing me back to this gem is its winning combination of very well-priced meals that are obviously prepared with pride and care, and a warm, personal ambiance. When we were first seated, by one of the owners, my mum gave him the 3rd degree about how he should stock the wines that my brother makes. Bless this man's soul if he didn't twitch an eyebrow. He was the picture of grace and good manners as our mum continued to extoll, at great length, the virtues of said brother until hunger itself made her stop and choose her dishes. Instead of taking the gap and legging it, this good gentleman then took a seat at a neighbouring table and talked us through the menu with the same thorough dedication as my mother so clearly has to her beloved offspring.

The wine list samples a wide variety of cape classics and while corkage exists at R30, there's something for every palate on the Gypsy's list. One of the three owners is an experienced wine sommelier and the selection at Gypsy can only benefit from his considerations. Soon I am sure, this poor man will be worn down by my mother's conversation and we will see some Mulderbosch and Yardstick wines on their already impressive list list. (Ahem)


Gypsy Cafe
87 Station rd Observatory
021 448 8336

Mmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Delightfully put, with the turn of phrase to inspire the immediate upliftment from one's chair to beat a rapid path to the door of the Gypsy.

    As Dylan aptly sang in prose: " I went to see the Gypsy,
    stayin in a big hotel,
    he smiled when he saw me coming,
    and he said 'well, well, well' "

    I trust the Gypsy will do likewise upon my arrival.

    ReplyDelete